Wednesday, March 4, 2009

200th Post - Mad Hatter's Sky-View Taxi - Linemar Tin Toy

Hard to believe this is my 200th post, and I've had just over 30,000 visitors. Of course most of those hits were people looking for sewing patterns for Alice costumes, or free coloring pages.

The first time I ever heard of this toy was in the oddest place. It was at the movies. It was 1995, and I got dragged to see Dracula, Dead and Loving It (ugh). Before the movie started, the theater showed slides on the screen, some with ads, some with trivia. And then all of a sudden this toy appeared on the screen.

It was a slide showing an auction result from Smith House Toys, I believe the final hammer price was something like $1800, which was pretty spectacular. I remember actually standing up in my seat. My friends were of course highly amused. I even tried to get the theater to part with the slide (to no avail).

I eventually found this one at the Glendale Toy Show, in Jan '97. I've only ever seen one other example in that time. I have no other information on this Linemar toy, but it is definitely rare. They did a couple of other tin toy cars that look similar. If anyone has any other information on this item, I would love to see it.

1 comment:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Congrats on 200 posts! I've had 1/2 million hits since 11/2007 and most of mine are people looking for discount Disneyland tickets!

Keep up the great work, your "Alice" collection and knowledge are amazing.