Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Playthings Magazine - July 1951

In honor of the first day of July, this is the cover of the July 1951 issue of Playthings Magazine, THE industry magazine of the toy trade. Collectors love these magazines because they are chock full of articles and advertisements for lots of vintage toys. And from the 1930s-1950s, every cover featured Disney characters.

For most of 1951 the covers featured Alice in Wonderland characters. This issue is special in that it advertises the 1951 character merchandise catalog. Character merchandise catalogs of any year are scarce, but the catalog for 1951 (the final year of the catalogs) is especially so.

3 comments:

unywendy said...

I can't find any other information on this catalog besides your page. I don't see any one selling it etc. How could I find out more?

Matt said...

These are very scarce, and rarely turn up, and when they do they tend to be in the $100-500 range. Best bet is to watch eBay to see if some turn up. Be prepared to have a lot of competition.

unywendy said...

I actually have one. I used to work in a small store in the late 8Os and it was in the attic. I took it when they went out of business. I was wondering more about it...and also the value.